It’s a little over a month into the spring semester, and I don’t know about you, but I am starting to get behind on things. My apartment looks pretty disastrous, my to-do lists (when i have the time to make them) are getting longer, I am finding loose papers scattered in my binders, books, and room, and I am simply not using my time well because I am so tired. I am determined to get back on track though. If you want to too, here are a few tips that have helped me before.
1. Make the decision to change your ways. Lent just started so it’s the perfect opportunity to get your act together, but you have to make a commitment to yourself to make a change, to become organized, to be more productive. Maybe ask someone to hold you accountable and check in with you.
2. Take it slow if you need to. Try doing 1 thing a day. If you apartment looks as bad as mine, take 10 or 20 minutes of your day and focus on the kitchen or laundry or your desk. You don’t have to do it all in 1 day.
3. Schedule everything. Some people have a hard time with this, but if you want to make sure something gets done, scheduling it will force you to manage your time wisely. I use Microsoft Outlook because I can color-code everything :) You can even schedule in naps and veg time.
4. Don’t feel guilty about taking some time to do nothing productive. It’s good for your mind to get a rest by reading something for pleasure, catching up on your favorite shows on Hulu, or taking a nap. The problem comes when you do this for an extended period of time. I am very guilty of accidentally watching 4 hours worth of Netflix before I remember I have a paper due the next day. This is when scheduling everything is helpful.
5. Make sure you are eating well. I have noticed the more unbalanced my meals are, the less productive and more tired I am . Try not to grab anything just to get food in your stomach. Take the time to eat a real meal at least twice a day. Don’t forget to drink water through out the day too.
Do you have any tips that have helped you? Share them below!